Bonjour!

A blog about my life and love of all things french. I have decided to write in French as much as possible. If you'd like to correct my mistakes (of which I'm sure there will be many!) please feel free to leave a comment or email me at jane.orson@btinternet.com Merci beaucoup!







Thursday 24 October 2013

Paris Again (Part 4)

Actually got up a bit later today (still ill, peeps).  I had decided that today was shopping day, so we set off for the rue Mouffetard.  I'd read about this in several guide books which seemed to think there was a market here, so at first I was disappointed to find it wasn't on.  Maybe it's only at the weekend.
Then it started to sink in that I was actually in the most fabulous area (in the fifth). 

There are very few photos that do the place justice.  Note to self: do not let husband comandeer camera for the entire trip as you end up with very few photos for your blog!
Anyway, each shop is very small, but crammed to bursting with either fish, cheese, fruit or (drool!) chocolate.  Of course this has to spill out onto the street, making it very difficult to walk anywhere without wanting to eat everything in sight.  How on earth Parisiennes stay slim with that lot on offer I do not know.  The photo above is of John in a little bistro.  I took the photo because I was fascinated by the tea pot, look:

We saw them for sale in a shop further up and they are very, very expensive (porquoi?)
It also goes to show that we hardly know what cheese is in England, to be honest.  Don't shoot me, I just can't stand cheddar!  The shops must have had 50 different varieties.
We went into a beautiful chocolatier and I bought a selection of chocolates.  I explained that I am allergic to nuts and the shop keeper pointed me in the direction of all the nut free treats.  She was so kind and helpful.  I felt very elegant walking down the road with my little box of chocs in my lovely bag. 
I could wander around here for hours.  Imagine living here and being able to shop here every day...
I wish to goodness I'd known the Pantheon is further up, I'd have walked on and on, but never mind, something for next time.
And so, just for complete contrast, we set off for Galeries Lafayette.  Time Out guide to Paris describes this huge, beautiful department store as selling affordable items.  In WHAT universe??  Someone should have told me it is Paris' equivalent to Harrods.  I mean, 6840 euros for a Prada bag is pushing it a bit, don't you think? 
We had moules et frites in a restaurant and it was all superb.  I'm so sorry I can't remember the name of the place, but it was fab.  In fact, I feel we've only scratched the surface of this amazing city.  There are so many museums, shops and restuarants we haven't seen.  You turn a corner and there is another fountain in another square with another old mansion at the back of it.  I don't want to go home!  I've seen at least two book shops that I never got to go into.  It isn't fair!
Finally, we went to the Dome Church at Les Invalides, where Napoleon's tomb resides.  This is another place we drove past last time that I knew I had to see.  I'm so glad we did:

This is the actual 'tombeau'.  In all the pictures I've seen, it looks really small, but in fact it's huge (considering Napoleon was only 5ft 5inches.)  Look at the people in the picture to give you an idea of the scale.
Building began in 1670 and Napoleon's body was brought here in 1840.  It really is a magnificent place (it's Paris, what else would it be?!)

So that was that, and after a lovely stroll through the gardens it was time to make our way home for our last meal.
But then the most extraordinary thing happened.  This little chap appeared and decided to smuggle himself into my luggage for the journey home. 
Well obviously I did the only thing a girl could do and tucked him up safely in my suitcase.  His name is Boney Ted and he is now enjoying life en Angleterre!
So all in all we had the most awesome time.  I know so many of you have either been to Paris or are currently living there and totally understand the captivating magic of this wonderful city.  I can't wait to go back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment